The first region owners meeting took place today on Saturday 16th September at 12 pm PDT. These meetings will take place every month and they will be held at participating region owners locations on the 2nd Saturday of each month.
Mike and Blanca welcomed everyone to the general office on the Love Boat. Apologies to Paula for having become totally confused when we should have been meeting at Misty Isle.
Mike Townsend: Ok so lets start the meeting it can be as short or as long as you like but suggested time is 1 hour. This meeting is for private region owners of Tropicana. To clarify that means regions owned by other Tropicana members outside of the main hub of regions owned by Mike Townsend and Blancanieves Levee.
Firstly Dex Cavanaugh sends his apologies, his dog is not well and he had a prior appointment in RL. The idea behind this group is to see what region owners can do collectively and what support is needed. For example how can we get more visitors to the region owners. At the moment we put those regions that have an OSW beacon on the teleport boards at the Welcome area and also on the website. There are other regions that are used for personal homes or whose owners have very little contact with the rest of us here at Tropicana.
You can see how Tropicana has grown with private regions by looking at the map
So perhaps the main thing is how to get more people. The one way that we know works well is by having rentals or being a DJ and doing parties. Of course everyone else does this too and there are only so many parties we can attend during the week.
So what can we do collectively that will make a difference. I would like to throw that one over to you guys.
Foxxy Fawkes: the OSW beacon does help , i get new visitors every day
Foxxy Fawkes: and new members
Paula Secord: people from other grids cannot rent here right?
Mike Townsend: Well we stopped that because they cannot "set home" and also we cannot contact them because they are on another grid. Generally they do not renew and we end up having to clear up the mess they leave behind.
Paula Secord: so they would have to make a new OSGrid avatar to qualify?.
Mike Townsend: Yes Paula. We had this discussion at the coastguards meeting yesterday and it is experience that has taught us that they are generally never going to be long term tenants when they are from another grid.
Foxxy Fawkes: well contact is easy if they leave on a contact form their UIID behind like you have set up on the kokomo application form mike.
Mike Townsend: True Foxxy but we cannot always reach them by IM and mostly we do not get a response. However, we can relax that rule if they are known friends of region owners and the coastguard team.
Paula Secord: The problem increases the bigger we get in Tropicana
Foxxy Fawkes: its something that is an multigrid issue that we can't do anthinthing about .. communication between multigrid membeers is something that the admins of the grids should work on
Foxxy Fawkes: or refer them to discord to send messages
Foxxy Fawkes: or other social media
Mike Townsend: They can already contact our chat support or Discord
Mike Townsend: The biggest problem is that no one bothers to read anything so we are constantly explaining what is already clear at the Estate Office and on the website.
Paula Secord: nods, human nature
Foxxy Fawkes: we give them plenty of options to contact us if they need us , if its by discord or tawkto.
Mike Townsend: For rentals its Tawkto the Chat Support because its important that we know they are not taking multiple properties. The chat support is there to stop everyone bombarding us with questions that are already answered for them at the Estate Office and on the website.All our time was spent chasing people around.
Foxxy Fawkes: so what you suggest as alternative ?.
Paula Secord: Yeah you had to stop baby sitting
Dariaa Zaritskaya: maybe need a web site that gave all what question was responds
Foxxy Fawkes: good idea a Q&A page
Mike Townsend: We have everything set up fine for the rentals we don't need an alternative. Rentals work fine.
Foxxy Fawkes: or maybe a forum of some kind where people can ask and answer questions , so current renters can maybe provide answers too.
Mike Townsend: But lets stick with your regions. What ideas can we come up with that will help you? With private regions I think it would be a good idea if through these meetings you can all get to know each other too. If you are arranging events or doing housing then perhaps we can help with that?.
Foxxy Fawkes: well me and my staff so far handle all membership requests , i recentlygave 2 more people a staff role , that are in timezones when i am not online ( or afk ) so we have various timezones covered
Paula Secord: Its great to have different time zones covered
Foxxy Fawkes: but its true that doing it all yourself , is a impossible task.
Mike Townsend: Which is why we are able to cover rentals by having a large team but how do we get more people involved in the actual community? How do we get more visitors to your regions other than having homes to rent and parties?.
Blancanieves Levee: (es:en) As Mike says, Tropicana is expanding with the help of Facebook It is where we find the most people who, without having an avatar, create it to get to know us.If you need it to be published from your regions, I will be happy to do so. You just have to send me the images or the idea that you want published.
Mike Townsend: Actually yes thats a good idea. That will help your regions to be visited too. Perhaps also post your regions in the relevant sections on the Tropicana Discord group too.
Foxxy Fawkes: and again , if you have an event on your region , feel free to use my group too to promote your event. i do not see it as just the kokomo group but its a tropicana group.
Mike Townsend: Thanks Foxxy
Paula Secord: Its actually a good way for people to first interact on Facebook and once they get to know people they might wish to come here.
Mike Townsend: I think one way we can get people engaged more is to make use of the group chat regularly.
Paula Secord: on Discord?
Mike Townsend: Yes Paula and the Troicana Islands group chat.
Foxxy Fawkes: so maybe we should promote it more for people to hop on FB or discord
Dariaa Zaritskaya: im more on discord then fb
Foxxy Fawkes: it will also unite the community more
Paula Secord: that makes sense
Foxxy Fawkes: so people are not on their own little island but also share idea's and or experiences on FB and discord.
Mike Townsend: Yes I think the more we are seen as active on all those channels the better.
Mike Townsend: Perhaps there should be a party once a month on a private region?
Paula Secord: we have so may people here already all in their separate cells
Mike Townsend: For example todays meeting was supposed to be on Paulas region but I messed up. Each month it can be a members region
Foxxy Fawkes and i will also do all i can to support that event
Dariaa Zaritskaya: seem good
Paula Secord: a safari visit to different areas would be good
Foxxy Fawkes: promoting it , and if something is needed , let me know u also build and script
Foxxy Fawkes: tsome islands are on their own , maybe build a bridge between them so peple can walk from one to the other island
Dariaa Zaritskaya: need to redo all around the club
Foxxy Fawkes: just an idea
Paula Secord: great idea Foxxy
Mike Townsend: That might work we have already started a road network
Paula Secord: people can sail around too or fly...Saturday excursions could work
Foxxy Fawkes nods , at my end we have to look where my island and tunage that neighbors me its best to make a connecting road too.
Mike Townsend: Also each monthly meeting could be followed by a party at the region we are on? We do this with our Coastguard meetings.
Blancanieves Levee: (es:en) the activities that are being carried out at Tropicana like roads and coastguards You can see it on the public Facebook page and on YouTube
All those activities that we carry out can be extended to your regions
Paula Secord: These meetings are good way to meet others
Blancanieves Levee: (es:en) and also give you new ideas
Mike Townsend: At the moment people are looking for land or large homes
Foxxy Fawkes: but a road network would more intterconnect the island with eachother , makng it more one big community , right ?
Mike Townsend: If you are able to set up homes then we can also add them our existing ones at the Estate Office and drive people to your regions
Blancanieves Levee: (es:en) I hope that seeing the photos and videos gives you ideas to participate together
Paula Secord: if you drive somewhere, you open the whole area to people and they do not feel like they are stuck on just thier property
Foxxy Fawkes: but btw mike , maybe next time say before the safari starts to get life ensurance , that jeap ride during the last safari almost gave me a heart attack.
Mike Townsend: The roads are gradually being expanded. We do have a large road network already but it hasn't increased rentals on those regions though and I hardly ever see anyone driving on the roads.
Paula Secord: hey what if you have cars that automatically give you a tour
Paula Secord: like the hot air balloons in Calas?
Mike Townsend: I havn't seen that but we do have a hot air balloon at the airport
Paula Secord: when people land at the welcome area perhaps there can be a balloon with an option of a couple areas to tour.
Mike Townsend: Yeah we have a small airport on Tropicana Islands too and Misty Isle has a big airport too. Cross and Luna are going to build a race track. I thought they might have joined us today but he works some weekends
Paula Secord: I would not mind a road coming to Misty Key campgrounds when done
Mike Townsend: So being specific about your regions should we be looking to link them up by road as soon as possible?.
Dariaa Zaritskaya: yes if theya re near and not surrounded by water.
Mike Townsend: Even surrounded by water we can fix that.
Paula Secord: hehe set up an automatic ferry system
Mike Townsend: ok I will take a good look at the map and see which are easy to join
Dariaa Zaritskaya: make more work for tropicana
Mike Townsend: and we can start to make plans on all of them
Mike Townsend: ok so roads is good
Paula Secord: I like the idea of tours
Mike Townsend: Please make use of the forum, facebook, Discord to try and involve people and tell them about your regions.
Mike Townsend: Blanca did a video of our crazy bus tour in Metropolis
Mike Townsend: Did you all see it?
Foxxy Fawkes: no i didnt
Paula Secord [en→fr]: Super vidéo Blanca !
Blancanieves Levee: (es:en) Thank you.. the ride and making the video was fun!
Mike Townsend: What I suggest going forward then is that we have a tour at whatever region the meeting is on at 1 pm PDT which keeps our meetings to an hour.
The group then went on to discuss bringing back Saturday parties now that Jose no longer does them. It was suggested that the parties alternate between clubs and regions with Foxxy, Paula and Dariaa agreeing to plan bringing back Saturday parties. Paula Secord offered to take the lead on this and will attempt to bring it all together with the help of Foxxy and Dariaa.
Mike Townsend: So we have some good ideas so can you three laise with each other on times and dates and then I can get it posted on the Events page with the locations.
Foxxy Fawkes: oh since the island is members only , except of the welcome area on kokomo , if we make a bridge between kokomo and for example tuneage , i will add the land where the bridge is to the welcome area too , so there is a corridor.
Foxxy Fawkes: btw , maybe a good idea to have a party at the love boat more often , love that place too
Foxxy Fawkes: thats why its good we have these meetings.
It was agreed that our meetings would take place on the second Saturday of each month at members regions. It was also agreed that after each meeting we would have a half an hour tour of the host region.
Mike Townsend: So for example next month the meeting takes place at Tropicana Misty, our host is Paula and we will meet there in the pub.
Mike Townsend: So we ended up with some good ideas that we need to work on a bit and pick up on at the next meeting at 12 pm PDT on Saturday 14th October. Let me know between you all when the Saturday parties are to start but allow for these meetings in your scheduling of the times.
To do list:
Paula Secord to liase with Foxxy and Dariaa re Saturday parties and schedule.
Mike Townsend to look at road planning across regions.
NB: Please note that not every comment has been included but just the main points since there is already a lot of content included in this summary of our meeting.